James gets to go first because his news is a bit more interesting than mine. This past weekend James volunteered with Ontario Streams. He got to participate in burying Atlantic Salmon eggs in a tributary of the Humber river. The eggs were placed in a plastic tube where they will hatch. In May the tubes will be opened and the success rate of the of the project will be determined (they have had great success rates in the past). This is all part of the Lake Ontario Atlantic Salmon Restoration Program. It was an awesome way spend a morning: outside in beautiful Mono, wearing hip waders while sitting in a stream. He really enjoyed himself and it was a great conservation effort to be part of! Here are a few pictures:
Now for me. Officially, I have two more weeks before this child is due, but unofficially, I am ready any time now! We would be happy with an arrival at any date from now on. I'm done work (although I did pick up a shift at CH today), so I'm free all the time! 38 weeks has also brought a few more aches and pains, and I'm definitely slowing down... but I count those as positive because it means Baby G is on its way!
That being said, I needed a way to pass some time, so I made up a Top 5 Best/Worst Things About Pregnancy" list... just for fun. We'll start with the worst:
Top 5 Worst Things About Pregnancy
1. Waking up 10 times a night... either to roll over (although I don't think it really counts as "rolling" at this point) or go to the washroom.
2. Mood swings. If you didn't suffer (I say "suffer" because it is not a choice!) from this, you are lucky!
3. Rib shots. At 3 in the morning. When I can't sleep. Because baby thinks it's midmorning. And time to play the piano with its toes on my ribs.
4. Mobility Issues. I don't know about you, but this whole waddling thing is overrated. I can't seem to go anywhere without looking like an 80 year-old with hip problems who forgot their walker. That and having to make important calls whether the thing that fell on the floor is really worth picking up.
5. Waiting. And waiting. I just want to know what's coming. I want to know what my baby looks like. I want this bundle of joy in my arms!
Top 5 Best Things About Pregnancy
1. Movement. As much as I complain about the rib shots, there is nothing quite as amazing as feeling your baby move around inside you. A little foot poking out here, a bum sticking out the top... does it get any better?
2. Less shaving. Yes, you heard that right. I need to shave my legs about half as often as I did before. It has been amazing! The downside: hair loss from my head is up 200% at the same time.
3. Tiny clothes! Maybe you don't get as excited as me, but I love sorting and looking at all the little onesies, outfits, shoes, hats... you get the picture. I can't wait to see my baby in all my favourites!
4. Dreaming. How exciting is it that in a few weeks we will have a baby to love and cuddle and take care of? At this point, I am only excited about all the things that come with a baby. I am looking forward to changing diapers and soothing cries. I'm not so naive to believe that this will last, but for these last few weeks I'm going to get my dreaming done and be only ecstatic for what is coming!
5. Seeing James' excitement. I do believe that dads-to-be have a harder time bonding with baby before it's born, so I love seeing James light up when he feels the baby kick or helps to pick out clothes/toys. He's going to be a great dad!
So there's my list. I'll finish with a 38 week picture, just so you can get a laugh out of my low-lying trucker belly. Now that baby is dropping, the belly gets a little lumpier and lower each day, giving the impression that I've really had a few too many beers, rather than having grown a baby for the last 8 1/2 months!