Thursday 5 November 2015

{Groenwolds Go North} Lake Superior Provincial Park, Part 1

You guys.

Drop everything and go to Lake Superior Provincial Park. Now. Well, maybe not now (too cold), but next summer, ok?

Hands down, this park was my favourite park I've ever camped at. It wasn't fancy, but the views and feel of the place were amazing! The whole park is huge, and the campground we stayed at runs right along the shore of Lake Superior. The campsite we stayed on was right on the beach, and the view of the shore and water made this trip. It got a little breezy a few times, but being able to hang out on the beach was fantastic! We loved watching canoes and kayaks and boats go by, and we even enjoyed some beautiful hikes (stayed tuned for those next post).

It's hard to pinpoint exactly why I loved this park so much, because it had so many great features! It's huge, with 3 campgrounds and so many trails to hike (we hardly bit into anything the park had to offer), and it has a fantastic visitor centre where we learned about the history, geography and biology of the park. We also noticed how many visitors came from the northern States and Manitoba... a different demographic than we are used to here in southern Ontario- we saw so many camper vans and hardly any huge trailers!

We mostly relaxed here (for 3 days), and we never got bored of the wind and the waves. It's easy to see why people have been attracted to Lake Superior for hundreds of years!





James' GoPro skills!
Sunset and the golden rocks




Life at camp...

I'm definitely a person who gets very sentimental and gushy when I'm out in creation. I can't help but feel that in the wilderness there is an order and peace reminiscent of what God must have meant our world to be like- and this park represented all the best parts! It was wild and free and felt untouched by humans in a lot of aspects. 

It brings to mind Wendell Berry's poem "The Peace of Wild Things":
When despair for the world grows in me 
and I wake in the night at the least sound 
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be, 
I go and lie down where the wood drake 
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds. 
I come into the peace of wild things 
who do not tax their lives with forethought 
of grief. I come into the presence of still water. 
And I feel above me the day-blind stars 
waiting with their light. For a time 
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Next up: Lake Superior P. P., Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment